3-Day Anchorage, Chugach Mountains, Matanuska Glacier Tour *Aurora Chasing*
• Enjoy your evening exploring Alaska’s largest city • Look for Dall Sheep perched on the roadside cliffs, bald eagles • Pass through downtown Anchorage and learn about the history of the city • The Glenn Highway Scenic Byway winds along the mighty Matanuska River
At least 1 traveler
Select number of GUESTS, ROOMS, DATE:
- Matanuska Glacier
- Chugach Mountains
- Turnagain Arm
- Alaska Native Heritage Center
Day1 Home - Anchorage
via hotel shuttleo
Overview of Today
When you arrival in Anchorage.You can transfer to your hotel via hotel shuttle.Then enjoy your evening exploring Alaska’s largest city.
Day2 Anchorage - Matanuska Glacier-Anchorage
Lakefront Millennium Hotel or similar
Overview of Today
Meet the guide at 8 AM for the scenic 2-hour drive through the mountains to Matanuska Glacier for an Ice Walk Adventure! On the way you will pass through downtown Anchorage and learn about the history of the city, founded in 1915 as headquarters of the Alaska Railroad. The Dena’ina Athabascan people of the region have lived here for over 1000 years.
As you depart the city you will pass Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson and the bedroom communities of Eagle River and Chugiak before you pass the Dena’ina village of Eklutna. Crossing the Knik River, you will leave the “Muni” and enter the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, larger than the state of Connecticut. A stop at a grocery store in the charming town of Palmer allows you to purchase food & drinks for lunch and snacks for the drive. The Glenn Highway Scenic Byway winds along the mighty Matanuska River as it winds from the glacier to Cook Inlet. The river separates the Chugach Mountains to the south and the Talkeetna Mountains to the north.
Upon arrival at Matanuska Glacier your guides will instruct you in using ice cleats for secure footing on the ice, and your Ice Walk adventure will be underway. Marvel at the spectacular formations, crevasses and seracs, the ice caves and the deep blue color, created as thousand-year-old ice carves its way 27 miles, from nearly 13,000 feet elevation to the toe of the glacier at less than 500 feet above sea level.
Then the guide will return you to Anchorage in the comfort of our private vehicle, where you will be free to choose your dining and entertainment options in this vibrant city.
Day3 Anchorage -Turnagain Arm - Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center- Anchorage
Overview of Today
Today, our focus shifts to the sea as you explore Turnagain Arm and points south. The Seward Highway route you will follow is also a designated National Scenic Byway, affording beautiful view of the rushing waters of the world’s second largest tidal swing, as much as 30 ft from low to high tide. Look for Dall Sheep perched on the roadside cliffs, bald eagles and moose on the route, and enjoy breathtaking views of the Kenai Mountains to your south.
Then we visit to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center offers a sure bet of seeing some of Alaska’s world-famous wild creatures, including moose, caribou, wood bison, elk, mule deer and eagles. Bears live here, too, and are visible most of the year, except during their winter hibernation.
When the Alyeska Resort opens for the season, you will be able to ride the scenic Mt. Alyeska aerial tram. From the top of the 2300 ft elevation tram, you can see for miles in all directions – including views of Turnagain Arm, up to seven “hanging” glaciers, and endless peaks deep into the Chugach Mountain range. Don’t forget to look down!
Alyeska is the most popular winter resort in the state. You can see skiers flying down the mountain or snowboarders perfecting their back flips. The observation deck is a perfect place to enjoy a relaxed lunch or beautiful evening sunset. Telescopes are also available along the deck. When weather permits, you can choose to experience Alaska glaciers by helicopter to land on the blue ice and snow.
Lastly return to Anchorage International Airport for the one-hour flight to Fairbanks and the beginning of your search for the mystical Northern Lights! Don’t forget to check out our Arctic Adventure extension package to complete your full exploration of all that Alaska’s winter season has to offer!
Price Special Note
- * Price for Single Occupancy applies when one person stays in one standard hotel room
- * Price for Double/Triple/Quadruple Occupancy applies when two/three/four people stay in one standard hotel room respectively
- * Triple/Quadruple price does not guarantee a third/fourth bed in the room since each room is equipped with 2 beds. Please check the availability at the time of check-in
- * Hotel shuttle from/to Anchorage International Airport
- * Two nights’ hotel in Anchorage - Lakefront Millennium Hotel or similar
- * Breakfast in the hotel daily
- * All meals not included in itinerary
- * Driver/Guide gratuities (suggested minimum $10/day per person for day trips and $5/person for evening aurora viewing.)
- * Additional Nights Hotel:$180
Cancellation and Change Notice
- Cancellation Policy:
- * Cancellation made within
- * 37 and More Days Prior to Departure Date: 100% of total purchase amount can be refunded
- * Departures Guaranteed to operate
- * Tour Director will be with the group throughout the entire land tour
- * All deluxe private transfers throughout, luggage handling, all applicable taxes and sightseeing tours as indicated
- 1.Immediately after submitting your reservation you will receive a Receipt of Reservation via email.
- 2. Within one to two business days of submitting your reservation you will receive a confirmation email from us. If you need to book an airline ticket, we recommend that you do so after you receive a confirmation of your tour reservation from us.
- 3. An E-Ticket will be sent to you via email as soon as details of your reservation are confirmed or your supporting information is received by us. We will provide you with all detailed information about your tour on the E-Ticket. Contact information for local tour provider will be included on E-Ticket for your convenience or re-confirmation purpose if re-confirmation is required.
Terms and Conditions
- - Your purchase does not guarantee confirmation. Your purchase will initiate a reservation process. We will confirm with you via email within one to two business days.
- - Prices may vary due to availability. We reserve the right to make price adjustment without prior notice.
- - Please refer to our Standard Amendment, Cancellation and Refund Policy before you make reservation.